AfricaCWIC 2022 Workshops
Workshops and tutorials are an exciting way to gain knowledge and practical skills from experts, who share their experience with the audience on topics related to the conference theme, i.e. on any topic expanding the Building Revolutionary Digital Mindsets, as well as on empowering diversity within the computing community. While workshops have some hands-on interactive elements and limited capacity, tutorials are usually more frontal (lecture by the presenters) with unlimited capacity.
Please make sure to select the workshops and tutorials you will attend during your Registration.
Workshop 1: Build your first Cross-platforms Mobile Application with Flutter
Workshop Presenter: Amode Habeeb
Amode Habeeb , is a full stack developer with demonstrated experience developing scalable Edtech and Fintech software. He presently works at a Digital Bank, Kredi Bank, as a Software EngineerHabeeb Amode, is a full stack developer with demonstrated experience developing scalable Edtech and Fintech software. He presently works at a Digital Bank, Kredi Bank, as a Software EngineerHabeeb Amode, is a full stack developer with demonstrated experience developing scalable Edtech and Fintech software. He presently works at a Digital Bank, Kredi Bank, as a Software Engineer.
Development of mobile applications that focus on one mobile operating system i.e. Java for Android and Swift for IOS requires enormous time to build and not cost-effective. This method of mobile app development is now becoming a thing of the past as industries are now trying out technologies that guaranteed minimal development time and also cost-effective with the help of technologies that promise cross-platform such as React, Flutter, Ionic etc.
These technologies make it easy to build a mobile application that works on both android, iOS, and desktop without the need to write different codebase that will work on different platforms.
- Introduction to mobile application
- Learn technologies that can be used to build mobile apps
- Introduction to Flutter
- know how to install the tools required to build cross-platforms mobile app with Flutter
- Introduction to Flutter components
- Learn to build a simple project
- Build and test developed project on Android and iOS
Laptop with Android Studio installed
Computer set with Android Studio Installed
Workshop 2: Build your first RESTful WEB API using Golang
Workshop Presenter: Awunor Stephen Komna
Awunor Stephen Komna is a Software Engineer with over eight years working experience. He currently works with Microsoft as a Software Engineer II. He is a language agnostic engineer who has been opportune to work with various technologies which include JAVA, C# and Golang. His experience as a Software engineer cut across several sectors which includes, Social Space, Transportation and Logistics, Finance and Education where he mentored many upcoming Software engineers
This is focused on building RESTful WEB API using Golang and leveraging the GIN web framework for routing request, retrieve request details and marshal the JSON for responses.
These technologies make it easy to build RESTful WEB API coupled with the fact that it is fast, simple, maintainable, and easy to learn.
Its built-in testing, profiling framework, easy and very clear documentation and support for concurrency are another strong area of consideration for building WEB API with Golang
- Introduction to RESTful Web API
- Introduction to Golang
- Introduction to Gin Web Framework
- Learn to build a simple RESTful WEB API
- Consume the built RESTful WEB API with Postman
- Computer set with Goland installed IDE (Trial Version)
- An installation of Go 1.16 or Later An Installation of Postman
Workshop 3: Game Development using Unity in C#
Workshop Presenter: Ezekiel Ogunnika
Ezekiel Ogunnika, is versatile and experienced Software Engineer. He currently works with International Gaming Technology (IGT), Canada as a Software Engineer with the Linked Gaming Systems.
Video Game Development using Unity, a free-to-use game development tool and C# language for scripting.
- Introduction to Unity Editor
- C# Scripting + Brief introduction to C#
- Scripting with VS Code
- Simple 2D Game Development
- Unity Editor
- VS Code
Workshop 4: Data Exploration
Workshop Presenter: Dr. Itunuoluwa Isewon
Dr. Itunuoluwa Isewon is a Computer Science Lecturer at Covenant University, Nigeria. She has over 10 years of teaching experience in soft computing and programming at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. She is proficient in R, Python, C/C++, C# and Perl.
Data is the oil for today’s world. With the right tools, technologies, and algorithms, we can use data and convert it into a distinct business advantage. Data Science allows you to extract knowledge from structured or unstructured data. It involves extracting insights from vast amounts of data using various scientific methods, algorithms, and processes. It helps you to discover hidden patterns from the raw data.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to;
- generate informative plots that will help them to understand the data
- transform data by selecting important variables, filtering out key observations, creating new variables, and computing.
- Hardware: A computer with at least 10GB free hard disk space, 4GB RAM, and a stable internet connection.
- Software: The computer should have R and R-Studio installed.
- Pre-requisite knowledge: Participants are expected to be familiar with the basic use of R and R-studio.
- Free E-book to learn R: https://intro2r.com/